This session will focus on the amount of talking that you and your students are doing in class–what it looks like now, and what it might look like in the future.
It is essential that you complete this pre-work prior to the session. Without the pre-work, you will not be able to receive credit for the workshop.
What you need to do:
For a given lesson, record how many minutes were spent in each of the following categories:
- Teacher Talk: Teacher presenting information, asking questions, and/or responding to students
- Student Talk: Students responding to the teacher
- Group Discuss: Students working in small groups or students responding to each other whole group
- No-talk: Worktime or thinktime (even if there is some chatter)
Tips on how to do it:
- Use your iPad! Check out this app, which makes it easy to keep track of how much time is spent in each of those categories. (Check out this sample video explaining the tool.)
- Record your class (using a flip cam or your computer if it has a video camera built in), watch the video, and record the time.
- Have a peer (or your MTLD if he or she will be observing you prior to the session) observe you and track the time.